Down and Out


“We give feelings power… our feelings are clues, I can tell you what you’re thinking if you tell me what you’re feeling” Touré Roberts

It’s that time of year again.  It’s snowing outside.  If you’re in or near Chicago like me, it’s FREEZING.  You don’t want to warm up your car, or walk to class or run any errands.  Everything requires levels of work that you’re not willing to put forth.  Even getting out of a warm bed is too much because the cold air is enough to get you to crawl right back in.  This is the toughest time of year for me.  In the past I always just let it overtake me.  I stayed in bed and kept to myself.  I’m good at hiding this feeling from people, but the emotional strain of just getting up can be way too much for me.  There are various forms of depression that align with how I feel, and felt.  But honestly, I don’t want to ever use that word again in reference to my life.  It’s real and it happens, but proclaiming it makes me feel like I’m giving it my power.  Like I’m seeking how I align with it more than acknowledging how I don’t.  When you don’t want to move and don’t feel like doing anything, pay attention to what you’re thinking and use it in your favor.

The first thing that can help is telling someone.  Now, I don’t mean calling people to startle or worry them.  But, if someone asks you how you are, and you’re feeling down, then say that.  A simple, “feeling down” or “having a bad day” can go a long way.  Everyone might not be ready and willing to talk to you about it.  But, don’t be afraid to be honest for fear of ruining someone else’s day.  You never know who might be your blessing.  A few months ago, I ran into a girl I knew from high school while studying in Panera.  I knew her for years, but never said more than hi and bye to her.  When we saw each other, out of habit we said hello.  And when asked how I was I answered honestly and so did she.  As a result we sat there and talked for hours, and were equally shocked at not only how natural the conversation was but how deep, and honest it was.  Good conversation can be food for the soul, and ours definitely was.  To this day I call her “my blessing” because she gave me more than she knew that day.

We’re often told not to act on impulse and usually that’s accurate.  But, at times when we are down and out there are still random times when we long to do something more.  Whether that is a mental reminder to send an email; or calling a friend you haven’t talked to in a while; even drinking some water because your mouth is dry.  Whatever it is, as long as it does not hurt you, do it.  Doing those little things when you feel like doing it can lead to a ripple effect.  Writing this blog post was a result of my ripple effect.  I got up because it was almost evening time and I just had to try; then I made some tea because I have to drink tea before I eat anything. Then while drinking tea I opened my laptop and had the rare urge to just write about what I was feeling.  I know I have so many other things to do, but after posting this I’m going to feel way more accomplished than I did when I was lying in bed.  And this could help fuel me for the rest of my day, all because I decided to get out of bed.

Feeling down and out is so normal, but when we feel that way it’s as if we’re the only one.  Everybody has a story and in that story are their own struggles.  I know my struggles, but I don’t know yours.  Being honest about real struggles can be a great way to spread positivity, even when you don’t feel any yourself.  I am a firm believer in putting positivity out into the world in order to receive it.  If you’re feeling down and have the urge to share, leave a comment.  Share a story about how you overcame it, or how you haven’t yet.  You never know how powerful your truth really is.

“Your struggle is the key that can unlock somebody else’s prison. Share your testimony."


Amaka



https://www.pinterest.com/gdelesparra/quotes/

Comments

  1. Generally around this time, a grand amount of people experience high stress levels which often can lead to depression. Personally during this time (time of finals) I feel emotionally and physically drained. I tend to get terrible headaches and stomachaches because I feel like it’s impossible for me to complete all my assignments early so I can devote all of my time to studying for my exams. This year, to avoid this experience (which has happened four semesters in a row) I altered the way I think and plan things. First, I’ve trained myself to eradicate ALL negative thinking. Which generally means whenever I’m thinking about something negative whether it’s me thinking “I can’t possible complete all of this today” or “I know I’m not going to score well” or “this can wait until the morning” I instantly remind myself that I’m thinking negatively and I try to rephrase whatever I’ve said into something that is positive or encouraging. As far as being tired/lazy that involves self-discipline. It’s all about training your mind to think about the future and how your laziness will affect it. Lol I literally tell myself “only the weak, the failing and the broken sleep” lol so that is my motivation lol once again it all deals with self-discipline. Lastly, I plan everything! Literally everything! So I can manage my time but most important it makes me feel nice to see what I’ve accomplished lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thank you so much for sharing Brittany! Your testimony speaks volumes and I totally get it! I love how you eliminate negative thinking! That's so important in changing your mood! And planning is such a rewarding task. It really clears your mind and puts things into perspective! Great advice!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts